6 Things You Can Do Every Day to Build, Promote, and Manage Your Online Reputation
Maintaining your online reputation can be a tricky exercise, one requiring equal parts diligence and creativity. In a day when Google is likely to rank the latest news about your site on the first page, whether or not it is representative of your business, you’ve got to be able to not only find out about these attacks, but be ready to react to them.
There are things you can do on a daily basis to minimize the effects of these events, and we’ve complied a handy list you can use each day to help manage your online reputation!
6 Tips to enhance your online reputation on a daily basis!
- Build a ‘Reputation Culture’ in your business! – We shouldn’t have to say this, but sometimes we just need to have a little reminder. Make sure that you build a ‘reputation culture’ in your business by helping your entire team understand the importance of being pleasant, providing great customer service, and generally being easy to do business with. If you or your team forget this, ultimately it will catch up to you and people will not want to do business with you.
- Ask for customer reviews – Your happy customers are your best source for positive reviews and endorsements. Don’t be bashful about asking for reviews! In many cases they will be happy to write a review, but they just need to be asked. The more positive reviews you receive from your raving fans, the more your any negative reviews you might have, or get in the future, will be overshadowed and pushed down in the search results. Making asking for reviews part of your daily business processes.
- Promote your positive reviews – While you want ALL feedback to help you better manage your business, you want to promote your positive reviews in as many places as possible. Promote them on your social media profiles, on your website, and in search results.
- Add to the positives content about your brand – Be sure to move the meter in your direction by contributing positive content about your brand anywhere you can, the more authoritative the better! This usually involves creating and claiming listings for your company on search engines, directory, review, and social media sites. By claiming ownership of your account on these sites, you can control the listing and contribute a positive and accurate message about your company. What you say about yourself and your brand is what we call your “Digital Footprint“
- Monitor your online presence – You should be very active about monitoring your brand and what is being said about you. We call this the “Digital Shadow“. You should be monitoring reviews, online mentions of you, your key employees, and your company name, social mentions and conversations, images, and more. There are some great tools to help you do this and we can help.
- Use negative feedback as an opportunity to improve your business – While we always want positive feedback and reviews, actually receiving negative feedback is a golden opportunity to listen to your customers and learn what you can do to improve your business. Don’t miss this and don’t be afraid of it. Learn how to turn less than stellar experiences into an opportunity to do a heroic recovery with that customer.
It’s no party looking after your online reputation. But in this social and reputation economy where you can be trashed in an instant, it’s absolutely necessary!